When choosing the best swimsuits for an hourglass body, consider yourself— an hourglass shaped woman — lucky. Of all the body types, hourglass has the most harmoniously balanced proportion. Meaning, you won’t have to deal with proportion imbalance and looking good in a swimsuit will require little to no effort on your part. All swimsuits’ shapes, cuts, and styles will look flattering on you.
Are you a plus size hourglass? Click here instead for the plus size version of this guide.
There are, however, guidelines on how you can maximize your dollars in terms of comfort, coverage, and design. Here’s a detailed guide on how to choose the best swimsuits for an hourglass body type.
But first, let’s define what makes an hourglass body:
- well-endowed booty and breasts
- waist is curvy and well-defined
- shoulders and hip proportion is well-balanced
- your shoulder-waist-hip proportion is 4-2-4
In a hurry? Jump directly to the swimsuits specifically recommended for an hourglass body by clicking here.
Otherwise, read on to learn the best styling principles for your body type.
The challenges of an hourglass body
Since an hourglass has the most aesthetically harmonious proportion of all body types, you can pretty much wear any swimsuits and look good in them. Meaning, don’t have to worry too much about the visual.
However, you’re likely gonna encounter the following challenges if you’re an hourglass lady:
- You find it hard to find swimsuits that offer enough support for your ample breasts and booty.
- You might also have problems with breasts sagging.
- Most one-pieces’ fabrics aren’t stretchy enough to accommodate your busty, curvy figure.
And here are the recommended swimsuits that’ll address these little inconveniences for an hourglass body type. I’ve grouped them according to different body goals.
If you want to flaunt your curves
If your goal is to sport a Kim Kardashian look and flaunt your voluptuous hourglass shape, remember these guidelines:
- Swimsuits with added details on the hips like strings and ruffles will emphasize your hips and make it appear even more defined.
- Wear a one piece with cutouts that mimic an hourglass shape. They’ll make your waist appear even slimmer and more defined.
If you want to elongate your legs
To elongate your legs, wear high leg cut swimsuits. High leg cut swimsuits hike up higher than regular creating the illusion of longer and more shapely legs.
If you feel adventurous, opt for Brazilian bikinis. They’re not only exceptional for elongating your legs but also for flaunting your voluptuous figure.
How to make your arms appear more slender and longer
To make your arms look more slender and longer, look for swimsuits with deep plunging necklines. It could be a U or a V neck, it doesn’t matter. They’ll create the illusion of longer and slimmer looking arms than you actually have. The deeper the plunge, the more amplified the effect.
If you want a secure bust support
Hourglass women tend to have well-endowed breasts. If you hate the thought of adjusting your bikini top every 5 minutes but you love to move in the beach a lot, remember these designs when choosing a bikini top.
Underwired bikini tops
Underwire bikini tops are not only designed for women with small breasts but also for busty ones. They not only support the breasts but they also keep them from sagging. If breasts sagging is your problem, underwired bikini tops will provide you that much-needed shape and support from sagging.
If you’re just allergic to bikini tops with underwires, sports bras are your best bet. Devoid of underwire, they’re extremely comfortable yet supportive and hold your breasts well.
Their cups are designed to secure your breasts despite constant movement but without the metal underneath. They don’t need to be boring, mind you. There’s a wide variety of choices when it comes to designs.
Halter tops are particularly good at support. It pulls everything up, and with its razorback, it offers an extra strong hold behind the neck without the boning and underwire.
If you want to look taller (especially for petite hourglass)
Swimsuits with vertical stripe is a must-have if you’re a petite hourglass. It visually elongates your figure thus making you appear taller than you actually are.
Petite hourglass should avoid:
As much as vertical lines are elongating, the opposite is true for horizontal lines. They make you appear shorter and wider. So if you’re a petite hourglass, steer clear of horizontal stripes if you don’t want to look even shorter.
For a retro look, wear high waisted bikinis.
In this article, I explained which body types look best in high waisted bikinis and one of them is the hourglass. Since hourglass ladies retain their beautiful curves no matter what they wear, high waisted bikinis will only accentuate their feminine figure.
If you’re an hourglass with a long torso, any type of high waisted bikini will look flattering on you. Period.
You can wear any style of bottoms but if you want one with great coverage and support, go for sporty bottoms with a boxer cut. You can move, play and swim in it without having to adjust every 5 minutes
Of course, there is no reason that you should avoid cheeky bikinis if you want to flaunt your well-endowed booty.
If you’re a petite hourglass:
If you’re a petite hourglass, however, and you want to elongate your body especially your legs, opt for high waisted bottoms with high leg cut. They’ll expose more of your legs and will create the illusion of a taller figure.
Best one piece for hourglass body
You can wear any one-piece design to your liking as long as it offers enough support and coverage for comfort and movement.
However, due to the big width difference between your slim waist and your defined bust and hips, finding a one-piece that fits like a glove could be a challenge.
Although it’s possible, your bucks are much safer with a two-piece, especially if you’re shopping online. But if you must buy a one-piece, remember these two pointers:
- Get the swimsuit’s exact sizing for its bust, waist, and hips.
- Avoid one-pieces with polyester as the main material. Polyester isn’t stretchable enough.
- Instead, look for one-pieces with at least 70% nylon and/ or spandex. These fabrics are stretchy enough to accommodate an hourglass-shaped body.
Styles that an hourglass body type might wanna avoid
- Be wary when shopping for bikini tops with flimsy strings as most of them offer little bust support. Although you’ll look flattering in them no question, you don’t wanna readjust every five minutes to make sure nothing’s spilling out.
- They’re absolutely perfect though if you’re tanning or just lounging around the beach and don’t mind adjusting your bikini from time to time.
- You might wanna avoid too much ruffles at your hips and bust. The classic string bikini bottom is okay but you might not wanna go more embellished than that.
- Too much embellishment at the hips will only make your hips appear overly wider. Of course, beauty is subjective and to some hourglass women, this is completely fine. So choose whatever you consider is the perfect design for you.
- Avoid bikini tops with thick padding. They’re more suitable for small chested ladies but too heavy for large breasted women like hourglass.
Hourglass body trivia
Research found out that most men prefer women with an hourglass figure. What’s more, an hourglass figure female is even more preferred than breast or facial features.
While it is true that most men were initially drawn to a woman’s cleavage, it was her hips and waist that were in fact what they found the most attractive.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hourglass_figure
List of recommended swimsuits for an hourglass body
Now that you know which designs will flatter your body type, here’s a list of swimsuits that meet the above-mentioned criteria.
I specifically curated them to fit only an hourglass body type for a seamless shopping.