A reader wrote, “I’ve always loved jeans for as long as I can remember. In fact, I probably own all styles except one: skinny jeans. I just never dared to wear skinny jeans as I suspect they wouldn’t look so flattering on me. I’m an in-betweener size 12 and I have big thighs. And I’d like to clarify this now once and for all: Can I wear skinny jeans if I have big thighs? If so, how do I style them?“
Can you wear skinny jeans if you have big thighs? Absolutely! Whatever your thigh size and body type, you can wear skinny jeans and expect to look great in them. The reason why some women don’t is that some skinny jeans can be too tight and uncomfortable to sit in.
But if you find the right brand with enough stretch of the material, then you can definitely rock skinny jeans! This article will show you how.
You’re probably wondering: Why should I wear skinny jeans? What’s the benefit?
Well, a high-quality, well-designed pair of skinny jeans can make the legs appear longer and shapelier. And while other jean styles can do this there’s something quite classic yet youthful about skinny jeans which a lot of women just can’t resist.
Which body types have big thighs?
Pear and hourglass bodies, no matter their size, have naturally big and shapely thighs. On the other hand, apple, rectangle, and inverted triangle only develop big thighs when they gain considerable weight.
What looks good on others may not necessarily look good on you. So I’ve categorized the following tips according to body shape. If you don’t know your body shape yet, refer to this guide. Otherwise, read on:
How to style skinny jeans on a PEAR body with big thighs
When a pear-shaped woman wears a pair of skinny jeans, it instantly highlights her large hips and buttocks. If you’re a lean pear, this is usually not an issue— in fact, it’s an asset. However, if you’re a plus size pear, the balance becomes a little skewed— your lower body becomes disproportionately larger than your upper body.
The good news is, you can remedy that by wearing tops that outshine your bottom. This way, the focus isn’t all drawn to your thighs but streamlined into your upper body. Hence a balance is achieved. There are several ways to do that:
- Opt for dark-colored jeans with bright-colored and/ or printed tops. Dark colors are more slimming than bright ones. Note: this isn’t an absolute rule though. As long as your top outshines your bottom, you can bend/ break this rule.
- Wear voluminous tops like ruffles and flouncy tops. They draw the focus upwards.
- Keep your skinny jeans unembellished as possible. Average-sized pockets are okay but avoid sequins, oversized buttons, gemstones, and any bold embroidery near your thighs and hips. Your thighs need no more enhancement. Reserve the embellishments for your top instead.
Diagonal lines are slimming. Wear them across your thighs and they’ll visually minimize your thighs.
This is why you can never go wrong with handkerchief tunics with diagonal hemlines.
- Feel free to accessorize with at least one of the following: bracelet, necklace, watch, earrings, and shoulder bags to draw the emphasis to your torso.
How to style skinny jeans on APPLE and RECTANGLE bodies with big thighs
Lean apple and rectangle typically have slim legs. However, when both of these body shapes gain considerable weight, their thighs are also likely to grow bigger.
If you’re a plus size apple or rectangle with big thighs, your likely goal is to create the illusion of a curvier waist. Not only will this slim down your figure but also balance your proportion since the focus won’t only be resting on your thighs but also on the curves of your waist.
Wear your skinny jeans with hourglass-shaped tops like peplum and handkerchief tops. They hug the waist and flare out at the hips, creating the illusion of a curvier waist.
And if you have broad shoulders, wear a V-neckline to visually minimize your torso’s width.
If you wanna enhance your butt, remember the following:
- Choose skinny jeans with rounded yokes over straight ones. They’ll make your booty look rounder and curvier. (Yoke is the back section of the jeans just below the back of the waistband.)
- Opt skinny jeans with pockets that sit higher than your butt.
- A faded color on the seat will help enhance your rear.
- When applicable, opt for jeans with embellishments like stitching, sequins, and large back pockets near your buttocks.
How to style skinny jeans on an HOURGLASS body with big thighs
Whether you’re a lean or a plus size hourglass, you naturally have big thighs. The good thing is, they are already shapely so you’ll have an easier time dressing up.
You can pretty much pair your skinny jeans with any top you like and expect to look great in them.
If you wanna slim down your thighs, wear dark-colored skinny jeans.
To give your thighs a sculpted appearance, opt jeans with faded color at the seat and the front thighs.
Looking good in skinny jeans usually isn’t a problem for an hourglass body. The problem, however, lies on the fact that it’s often hard to find a pair of skinny jeans that fits a curvy figure.
It isn’t impossible, though. If you already have a trusted brand, stick to it. Otherwise, it’s gonna be a trial and error until you find the right one.
Frequently asked questions:
If you want a more in-depth guide on how to dress up for your body shape (not just for skinny jeans), pick your body shape from the following: